Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning

Post subject: Muscle up virgin no more
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:07 am 

I've been working on getting a muscle up for some time now. I haven't specifically trained myself to do one though. My workouts always include some pullups though and some vertical or horizontal pushing. i do dips in sets of 15 and can manage sets of ten or more pullups. Most days lately I would just walk into the gym and after a quick warmup, try a muscle up. Usually one or two tries would suffice. Failure after failure was my reward. Today though, after doing a set of snatches and turning the rope a few times I walked up to the bar and voila! A clean, smooth muscle up. My crossfit friends were jealous and tried, but to no avail. I jumped around like Tom Cruise professing his love for Katie Holmes. It was a great moment for me. I did three more during the course of my workout. The fourth was ugly. I went for the move, and failed. But I stayed on the bar without letting go, and pulled through. It was a high point for my training year. Hell, it was a lifetime high point. In the last six months I've learned to double unders and can string together up to about thirty reps, and now can muscle up. The best part is that I turn 45 next month. The principles of Ross Training gave me what I needed. Thanks Ross.

Post subject: Re: Muscle up virgin no more
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:18 am 

Nice going ! :clap: :clap:
I have been working on the bar MU.....just having problems getting the explosiveness to get high enough to transition to the dip.
Ring MUs....no problem, can do those in a "L" position slowly. :mozilla_laughing:
But I feel good....recently got the front lever, "superman pushups" and am very close on the standing wheel rollout.
Also getting close on the floor kip up.
The best part is that I just turned 62......Hell, I'm just getting started, I want to do it all ! :mozilla_laughing:

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:28 pm 

Sixty two. That is so awesome. Nice work sir.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:32 am 

Thank you ! :mozilla_smile:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:38 pm 

bklynfirefighter wrote:
Nice going ! :clap: :clap:
I have been working on the bar MU.....just having problems getting the explosiveness to get high enough to transition to the dip.
Ring MUs....no problem, can do those in a "L" position slowly. :mozilla_laughing:
But I feel good....recently got the front lever, "superman pushups" and am very close on the standing wheel rollout.
Also getting close on the floor kip up.
The best part is that I just turned 62......Hell, I'm just getting started, I want to do it all ! :mozilla_laughing:

Use an L-sit like I do here to counterbalance yourself. If you can front lever you can do it strict.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vO6kkD1E08

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:48 pm 

Thanks for the tip....I'll work on it.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
It was a high point for my training year. Hell, it was a lifetime high point. In the last six months I've learned to double unders and can string together up to about thirty reps, and now can muscle up. The best part is that I turn 45 next month. The principles of Ross Training gave me what I needed. Thanks Ross.

Nice work!!!

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning