Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning

Post subject: Re: Do NG and II Provide A Sound Training Template For Rugby
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:01 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Still, I really like the overall structure and exercise choices in your 5-day workout cycles. In my case, I would have to turn a 5-day cycle into a 7-day cycle, among other adaptations. But I would want to keep the broad mix of training modalities and variation which you present.

That is certainly acceptable. I simply urge against separating different modalities. For example, don't feel as though you must perform bodyweight workouts separately from free weights and/or odd objects.

Focus on the objective and pick/choose the tools (or lack of) that make the most sense for you. A strength workout could include bodyweight exercise, weights, sandbags, isometrics, etc. The tool is simply a means to an end. Don't make it the other way around.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:33 pm 

Ross Enamait wrote:
That is certainly acceptable. I simply urge against separating different modalities. For example, don't feel as though you must perform bodyweight workouts separately from free weights and/or odd objects.

Focus on the objective and pick/choose the tools (or lack of) that make the most sense for you. A strength workout could include bodyweight exercise, weights, sandbags, isometrics, etc. The tool is simply a means to an end. Don't make it the other way around.

Ironically, the reason I first thought to alternate workout cycles from NG and II was for this very purpose - to mix the different training modalities. NG tends to emphasize bodyweight and resistance band exercises while II uses bodyweight, but also dumbbells and odd objects.

Ross, I understand and accept your point about the need to take the sample workouts and workout schedules which you present and to adapt them to my specific needs. I will do so in the future.

However, I learned just as much about fat loss and effective dieting from actually doing a diet as from reading about it; from experiencing it and then tinkering, tweaking, learning, and developing.

I believe a similar method would serve me well in improving my physical condition. Thus, I propose to work my way through the 50-day routines in NG and II - scaled where needed; learn from the experience; get some real-world, practical knowledge; and then adapt the workouts to my unique needs.

Do you have any thoughts on how best to alternate II and NG workouts? My original thought was to switch from one to the other every week. But perhaps switching every conjugate cycle would be better? Or just go through the entire, say, NG 50-day cycle and then the II workout schedule?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:39 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Do you have any thoughts on how best to alternate II and NG workouts?

Mix and match the conditioning sessions if you wish, but combine the strength workouts (ie. include a mix of free weights, odd objects, and challenging bodyweight movements). Don't just switch from bodyweight strength workouts to free weight strength workouts every other week. If you are going to include multiple tools, do so every week.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:28 am 

Ross Enamait wrote:
Mix and match the conditioning sessions if you wish, but combine the strength workouts (ie. include a mix of free weights, odd objects, and challenging bodyweight movements). Don't just switch from bodyweight strength workouts to free weight strength workouts every other week. If you are going to include multiple tools, do so every week.

Thank you Ross. After I work my way through II and NG to get some practical experience with all the exercises and thus a bit more clue; I'll follow your advice to consistently strength train with multiple tools each week.

I appreciate your taking the time to provide me with some guidance and ideas on how to structure my workouts and progress. I now have a lot of study and work to do. :mozilla_smile:

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning