Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning

Post subject: 2 mile run
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:40 am 

A while ago I posted on here asking about a sub-5 minute mile and if anyone had done it and how they trained for it. Well, I've got my mile time down to 4:46 now, and obviously I'm excited to move on to the 'next level' by going after a new goal. That goal is a sub-10 2mile. So I was wondering if anyone on the boards has achieved this and how they did it?

Also, out of those who have run that, have you been able to get there or maintain that level with the type of conditioners that Ross suggests? I recently stopped running as much as I have before (almost every day) to just running long runs occasionally and doing an interval session once a week and the rest being GPP or jump roping and I have maintain all of the speed, and it seems endurance as well, specific to running that I had when I ran every day. Do you think I could continue to improve on my running times with such a program based more on overall conditioning than running only? (obviously I will still be running 3-4 times a week) My current time for 2 miles is 10:38.

My Current Log(December 2012 - now)

Post subject: Re: 2 mile run
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:44 am 

...I'm curious to hear how you got your mile time below 5.00 :clap:

I used to run track so I know of at least two people who can run 2 miles in sub-10, but I'm far from that myself. Maybe I'll ask them about it next time I see them.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:55 am 

demarcoa wrote:
...I'm curious to hear how you got your mile time below 5.00 :clap:

I used to run track so I know of at least two people who can run 2 miles in sub-10, but I'm far from that myself. Maybe I'll ask them about it next time I see them.

Well, when I achieved the sub 5 mile I was running nearly every day 3-6 miles(mostly easy pace), and sometimes up to 8 miles. The volume helped but the intervals seemed a lot more important. I usually did 10 to 12 400m intervals around 70 (sometimes a little under sometimes a little over) with 1:30 recovery of walking. Sometimes, about once every two weeks I would run a really hard 4 or 5 miler and the fastest I got those to was 24:38 and 30:27. I would guess that achieving the sub 5 was just a natural progression of running a lot of intervals and miles over a period of years. Other people on this board have achieved the sub 5 mile and I believe they mainly accomplished this via hill sprints and intervals and just generally incorporating G.P.P work with more running.

I'd very much appreciate it if you ask them, thanks!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:06 am 

Here is a link to that post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48977

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:19 am 

I managed to pull off a 9:48 two mile run exactly once in my Army career. To do it I used Stew Smith's interval running approach to pace my training.

(1) Run 1 mile at goal pace or faster then rest the same amount of time.
(2) Run 1/2 mile at goal pace or faster then rest the same (do twice).
(3) Run 1/4 mile at goal pace or faster then rest the same (do 4x).

So basically you run 1 mile at 5:00 or faster then two 1/2 miles at 2:30 or faster then four 1/4 miles at 1:15 or faster. The idea is to find your pace and learn how to stick with it throughout the whole run.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:20 am 

Seiken wrote:
I managed to pull off a 9:48 two mile run exactly once in my Army career. To do it I used Stew Smith's interval running approach to pace my training.

(1) Run 1 mile at goal pace or faster then rest the same amount of time.
(2) Run 1/2 mile at goal pace or faster then rest the same (do twice).
(3) Run 1/4 mile at goal pace or faster then rest the same (do 4x).

So basically you run 1 mile at 5:00 or faster then two 1/2 miles at 2:30 or faster then four 1/4 miles at 1:15 or faster. The idea is to find your pace and learn how to stick with it throughout the whole run.

i agree with this methodology.

when i was in high school, i ran a 5:03 mile once, and only did a timed 2 mile run once and got 10:42. then again, i never trained for speed or ever ran track either. just played soccer and lacrosse. but i was in insane shape back then, and also, in terms of pure speed, the 2nd fastest person on either of my teams. so maybe it was just a gift. i don't know...

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:05 am 

I havnt tested it yet, but an idea i have been playing with for when i do this is to start from two ends. So have alternate sessions of speed and Time. On the time ones you run at a continuous speed for 10 mins, starting low and increasing in small amounts on each session. For Speed you run continuously at the speed you need to do the mile in for a set time, slowly increasing the time each session.

Edit, I also have a question, and at the risk of hijaking this thread i think i wll put it here.

I want to run a 9 min 1.5 Mile and was wondering if it is possible to get there doing other forms of cardio than running. For example doing swimming, rowing machines and Shadow boxing. I will do lots of cardio, but is it likely that when i get to a level when my cardio is good enough to do it, i cant because my body isnt used to the biomechanics of runing. The limiting factor being muslce memory or technique or whatever, rather than my fitness?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:47 am 

Levon_Xidyn wrote:
A while ago I posted on here asking about a sub-5 minute mile and if anyone had done it and how they trained for it. Well, I've got my mile time down to 4:46 now, and obviously I'm excited to move on to the 'next level' by going after a new goal. That goal is a sub-10 2mile. So I was wondering if anyone on the boards has achieved this and how they did it?

Also, out of those who have run that, have you been able to get there or maintain that level with the type of conditioners that Ross suggests? I recently stopped running as much as I have before (almost every day) to just running long runs occasionally and doing an interval session once a week and the rest being GPP or jump roping and I have maintain all of the speed, and it seems endurance as well, specific to running that I had when I ran every day. Do you think I could continue to improve on my running times with such a program based more on overall conditioning than running only? (obviously I will still be running 3-4 times a week) My current time for 2 miles is 10:38.

Good work, 4:46 that's fast.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:04 pm 

I ran somewhere in the ballpart of 9:30 a year or so back. The method I used was run 6 days a week. 2 days were just simple aerobic runs. 1 day was a long run day. The other 3 days were workouts. One of the workout days would have been a tempo workout, which would either be a quick 20 minute tempo run or mile repeats with 1 minute recovery. The second workout would be intervals. These were usually 3-5 minutes in length with equal recovery, and they were faster than the tempo pace. So if you run hard for 3.5 minutes, you get to rest for 3.5 minutes. The last workout day was race reps, which were 200's, 400's, and/or 800's. These were run even faster than the intervals.

You can find a good workout pace calculator here: http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm

Oh, and a good aerobic base is really important before you get to doing all of those different workouts in the same week.

Hope that helps!

You either go all out or you don't. There is no in between.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:29 am 

bowlie wrote:
I havnt tested it yet, but an idea i have been playing with for when i do this is to start from two ends. So have alternate sessions of speed and Time. On the time ones you run at a continuous speed for 10 mins, starting low and increasing in small amounts on each session. For Speed you run continuously at the speed you need to do the mile in for a set time, slowly increasing the time each session.

Edit, I also have a question, and at the risk of hijaking this thread i think i wll put it here.

I want to run a 9 min 1.5 Mile and was wondering if it is possible to get there doing other forms of cardio than running. For example doing swimming, rowing machines and Shadow boxing. I will do lots of cardio, but is it likely that when i get to a level when my cardio is good enough to do it, i cant because my body isnt used to the biomechanics of runing. The limiting factor being muslce memory or technique or whatever, rather than my fitness?

Honestly the only way you're going to reach that goal of a 9 min 1.5 mile is by simply running and including different running protocols like intervals, long distant runs, hill sprints, etc.

Personally I started a thread about a year ago viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61501

Where I was trying to get better at running because I had injured my left shoulder and really couldn't do any of the non-running conditioning exercises that I had used for a few years like burpees, pull-ups, pushups, sledge swings, etc. And at the time I hated running and barely ran. Anyways I decided I had to adapt to my injury and that running was a great alternative and that I had to get used to running or else not do any exercises at all, which isn't an option :naughty: NO EXCUSES! PS: I box

Anyways I would run this one block in front of my house (back and forth) and that equaled out to 1.5 miles. In the beginning I would do it in 10 min, then 9:40, 9:20, 8:59 and finally got down to 8:30. Simply you have to stay consistent with running. I incorporated many protocols, like intervals, hill sprints, 2 or 3 mile continuous runs, etc.
I also appreciated the feedback from the forum members, very helpful. Hope that helps you as it did for me.

PS: now I love running :dance:

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning