Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning

Post subject: Slosh Pipe size variations. Anyone experiment?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:55 pm 

Hey all.

I have been watching Youtube videos of slosh pipe hilarity and am building mine now, but wondered if anyone has been able to experiment with various sizes other than the standard 7 and 10 foot variations. And are your experiences with this tool good or bad? I was feeling like it will be kind of like my keg lifts only on a less weight, more instability factor as I keep my Keg only about 3/4 full so it splashes around a bit still. Anyway I'm excited to get it build and thought that this is a great new tool to check out.

Post subject: Re: Slosh Pipe size variations. Anyone experiment?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:58 pm 

I made a 7 footer at 3 in diameter as I had no where to use/store a 10 footer and honestly its cake. I filled it 2/3 full almost 3/4 full so plenty of sloshing but its not all that hard. Quite different then the 10 foot variations I hear.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:08 pm 

I'm in the process of making at 8 footer at 4.3 inch diameter.

Should be interesting to see how it goes!!

http://rosstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44796

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:20 pm 

So I guess the question with these things is, does the difficulty more dependent on the length that the width. I mean, I feel like a 10 foot variation made out of 3inch piping would be almost as hard as a 4inch variation. Because the water travels so fast in the tube I cant imagine that extra 1 or 2 inches making that much of a difference. Then again, with a 6,7 or 8 foot length, the water doesnt get as much leverage and travel as far as fast causing the momentum to weight shift as fast. I guess I am thinking that any pvc thats long and over 2 inches would suffice quite well. Interesting.

On a side note, when I do wheel barrow pushes over this hill I have, and I load it up with all sorts of odd shaped boulders, the thing is so bloody hard to stabilize that I imagine it must be just as good or better than the slosh pipe. Cause with that, I am also driving forward.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:48 pm 

Longer length will be harder to stablilize than fatter pipe = More work for your stabilizers.

Fatter pipe is much harder to grip and allows more water to be added = more total weight for prime movers and forearms.

I have a 3 inch 9-10 footer, and it's not SUPER hard. However, walk 100m with it overhead or zercher style and it starts to catch up with you.

Overhead squatting it is fun too.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

Check out this article:

http://www.straighttothebar.com/2008/11 ... _slos.html

It's written by Joe Hashey (who posts here as jhashey).

Here is his site:

http://synergy-athletics.com

Ross

Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:06 pm 

The PVC cement on my slosh pipe is curing right now. I built a 4 in diameter, 8 foot version using the article Ross posted. I had considered going for a 3" diameter to make grip easier, but I decided to maximize imbalance instead.

I did a bit of math (okay, a lot of math), and figured out how a 3 inch pipe would compare to a 4 inch pipe, not only in terms of total weight, but in imbalance (or torque). I'll only bore someone with the details if they ask, but as few results were interesting.

First, a half-filled pipe provides the maximum imbalance. It may not be the heaviest, but if you're looking for the most sideways torque, half full is best.

Next for half-filled pipes, to get the same imbalance as an 8-foot long, 4-inch pipe like mine, a 3-inch diameter pipe would have to be 10 feet 8 inches long. The slight change in diameter really affects the volume.

And going to a 10-foot long, 4 inch pipe (from 8 feet) makes the imbalance a lot higher, from 41 ft-lbs to 65 ft-lbs. I tried a pipe sized like mine last week, and this will be plenty, thank you.

So, there's the skinny on slosh pipes. I'm looking forward to playing with mine.

Dave

Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:15 pm 

I built a 8 footer, 4 " diameter. I started with 10 feet, it was too much for me. I use mine when I walk around the block with my wife on the weekends. It is a hair over a mile, so I opted for a bit smaller. Mine's half full, and weighs 25 lbs (maybe it's less than 1/2 full). On thing I would recommend to anyone making one is consider the rubber pipe caps rather than gluing in a permanent or removable cap. They are way cheaper, and pretty durable. The rubber caps are held on with a hose clamp, so adjusting the amount of water is pretty easy.

So cosmoose, how full is my pipe if it weighs 25 lb?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:08 pm 

sbslider wrote:
So cosmoose, how full is my pipe if it weighs 25 lb?

A pint's a pound the world 'round, so there are 8 pounds to a gallon. If all the weight of your pipe were water, you'd have just over 3 gallons in there. But the PVC itself weighs something, and I don't know how much.

But a half-full 8' x 4" pipe needs 2.5 gallons (20 pounds), so yours is pretty close to half full.

Dave

Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:53 pm 

thanks for the confirmation on the amount of water in the pipe. Mine is black, so it is really hard to see down in it. I thought it was around half full, but 25 lbs sounded kind of light.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning