Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning

Post subject: Dumbbell Floor Press
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:58 pm 

Anyone do one arm dumbbell floor presses? Any benefits? This week is my second week doing these and I wanna know of any benefits. I read an article by Dave Tate saying this exercise helps to prevent shoulder injuries that are common in bench pressing. I also notice that range of motion is more limited than in floor pressing than in bench presses.

Post subject: Re: Dumbbell Floor Press
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:28 pm 

i read its because it takes the stretch portion out of the lift and concentartes on shoulders,pecs and tris.

the stretch can damage the shoulder after awhile is what i got out of the artilce

correct me if im wrong :mozilla_laughing:

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:29 pm 

You're right. By the way, cool profile pic of Cotto bustin down Suger Shane!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:31 pm 

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:16 am 

This exercise is great if you have sticking point mid to 3/4's up during the your bench press as due to the limited range of movement you cant build up mommentum which would normally help you drive through the sticking point during normally bench press. You start the pressing action basically at the sticking point making it much more difficult, but focusing on strength at the weak point in the movement.

To make the exercise more difficult after performing each rep, rest the weight at the bottom point for 4 - 6 seconds, this takes all of the tension of the muscles as your elbow rests on the floor. I was told this by one of the strength and conditioning coaches at the English instiute of sport that this length of time lets the elastic energy stored up from the eccentric contraction is lost. When the lift is started again its using the muscle recruitment from the concentric contraction only, rather then any advantage gained from the previous eccentric contraction. Kind of the opposite of plyometrics. This method can be useful for working past a sticking point but whether it as any other athletic benefits is yet to be shown, but suppose is a similar idea isometrics at a sticking point to produce as much tension as quickly as possible at a specific angle.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:57 am 

But remember that you can hurt yourself on floor presses as well - I've seen people injure their shoulders doing them when they get heavy.

Not sustain additional major injuries.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:48 pm 

I do floor presses. Benefits? My floor presses went up, as did my max pushup numbers and my dip strength.

I'll have to try that "strict start" method there; I'm sure the weight will come down a lot compared to what I can generate with the stretch.

Dave

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:55 pm 

use about 80% of what you would normally use for a floor press as it feels much harder, helped me with sticking points though.

I was doing them single arm, and self spotting with the other to help keep form.

good luck with it dave

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:54 pm 

Shoulder injuries are not that common with bench pressing. Rotator cuff injuries are.

Make sure you are doing overhead presses as much as you are doing bench press. The problem with the barbell bench press is that people get so caught up in "How much ya bench?" it dominates the pressing movements. You need to do overhead press to protect your rotator cuff, other wise there will be an imbalance of internal rotation strength.

Life and training are about balance.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:54 pm 

ross_idolizer wrote:
Shoulder injuries are not that common with bench pressing. Rotator cuff injuries are.

Make sure you are doing overhead presses as much as you are doing bench press. The problem with the barbell bench press is that people get so caught up in "How much ya bench?" it dominates the pressing movements. You need to do overhead press to protect your rotator cuff, other wise there will be an imbalance of internal rotation strength.

Life and training are about balance.

I though you needed to do pulling movements to counter pushing movements - and if you already have an inbalance you should be pulling twice as much as pushing

Not sustain additional major injuries.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning