Pick People Up, Don’t Put Them Down

Below is a new video where I share my thoughts about the importance of encouraging inactive individuals to exercise, as opposed to arguing with those who already do.

Time is precious. It is not infinite. Why not use it in a positive and productive way?

There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up. – John Holmes

1. Dave729 November 6th, 2013 12:30 pm

Thanks Ross. I greatly appreciate your positive, practical,common sense approach. Too often fitness professionals, web sites and magazines treat their programs or approaches as religious dogma. Hopefully, some members here will take your words to heart. It is discouraging and disappointing when discussions devolve into the fitness equivalent of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin rather than simply encouraging the person to be consistent and persistent with the program he chooses.

2. john November 6th, 2013 12:35 pm

Thank you for the real talk Ross.. it is so true. We are all in this world and life together but a lot of energy is wasted in the wrong places.

When you think about it, we might not be training the way we are and be as advanced if we just followed the man in the beginning who may have proclaimed a single “best” way to train, instead of testing, challenging, and refining the principles that we know produce results today.

Just as I say in science, we should celebrate challenge no matter what stance we have (logic vs emotional attachment/arrogance) on because it is just further knowledge and data that can be used.

However, it requires a sense of humility and admittance that your program might not be the “BEST” way to train, if such a thing even exists, for your case or the next man’s.

3. Fred November 6th, 2013 4:02 pm

Ross,

Your nickname should be “The Hammer”, because you always seem to hit nail right on the head!

It’s too bad that so many people have to create division in order to feel good about what they do. Do your thing and enjoy it! And enjoy seeing others do their thing. Don’t reject them because they do it a bit differently. They can inspire you, give you new ideas, show you a new way of looking at what you do.

My favorite martial arts metaphor is that we’re all climbing the same mountain, trying to reach the same peak. We’re just on different paths that all lead to the top.

Keep up the great work, Ross. You are an inspiration!

4. Jaime Rodriguez November 6th, 2013 7:13 pm

Hey Ross that was a great video with a message you passed I rarely ever comment on your videos not for any reason at all. But great message

5. phil handey November 7th, 2013 5:24 am

Ross your approach really is like a breath of fresh air, at 41 i cant count the amount of times i’ve been told how wrong my training is. The thing is there my goals, its my body and my effort being spent in the gym or where ever else i happen to be training. These days i just smile then focus on the workout because at my age with 25yr training under my belt i’m 5ft 6inchs, 170lbs with an average bodyfat of 8%, so it does’nt matter who says i’m wrong it works for me

6. Eric November 7th, 2013 3:10 pm

A lot of varying opinions has to do with money and nothing else. It has now become popular to preach the wonders of bodyweight exercise and kettlebells over more conventional forms of resistance training like barbells and dumbbells. As recently as the early 1990′s something like bodyweight exercise and kettlebells were seen as antiquated or useless forms of exercise for serious exercise enthusiasts. Now we’ve come full circle and it is the barbells and dumbbells being pushed aside for bodyweight training or kettlebell training. If you even owned a kettlebell chances are it was were hid away collecting dust until fairly recently, unless of course you lived in Russia. Personally I think dumbbells are superior to kettlebells and that is why they neary pushed kettlebells and other “old school” apparatus like Indian/Persian clubs to near extinction in all but a few obscure places around the globe until recently. NOW these “new” pieces of equipment can do miracles. Agree with Ross that any training is better than nothing at all regardless of what you do. With all the options of exercise programs and/or exercises, there has got to be something that might tweak even a committed couch potato’s interest.

7. Gladiator November 8th, 2013 3:27 am

oooo..rahhhhh

8. David Moxness November 8th, 2013 7:07 pm

Good stuff as usual Ross. I try to lead by example with my family hoping to encourage more of them to adopt a fitness lifestyle but most of them are part of “the eighty percent” you mentioned that are hard to motivate. But I will not give up trying. I hope you never quit doing what you do here because I know you are motivating people who are at a minimum at least willing to get off of the couch and put some of the training you suggest into practice. Keep up the good fight Ross.

9. adam December 29th, 2013 10:15 pm

Ross score for you :) . Your a great guy and you haven’t given up your passion. You also seem to care a great deal about other people. You my good friend are a notch above others.

10. Michele Lian April 6th, 2014 8:31 pm

Thank you for keeping it real, Ross. I’ve been reading your posts for quite a while now, and I really appreciate your down-to-earth, no-nonsense approach to fitness. This video reminded me of what’s important not only as a fitness coach, but advocate.

Michele.