The Playground Workout

The video below features a brief demonstration of a playground workout. I enjoyed the video for a few reasons. First and foremost, many of the exercises can be performed almost anywhere. It’s also nice to see a playground display that includes basic exercises that can be performed by the masses. Many of the popular playground/bar displays on Youtube highlight much more challenging exercises. And while I certainly enjoy more difficult movements, it is important to spread the message that anyone can get up and exercise with little or nothing. You also don’t need to possess gymnastic abilities to exercise at the playground. There is a starting point for anyone.

As for options and potential, the sky is the limit in terms of combining bodyweight exercise with conditioning exercises such as running. The bulk of the population could thrive with this simple combination. Bodyweight exercise can always be made more difficult or less challenging. It is something that anyone can start, yet you’ll never outgrow.

Unfortunately, such exercises and routines still do not get much widespread attention from the fitness industry. If you are wondering why, the answer is quite simple. You won’t fatten the wallet of an equipment manufacturer, gym owner, or trainer if you only exercise at the playground. As a result, such routines will never get much love from the industry. Speaking from experience however, the lack of attention certainly doesn’t reflect the potential that exists with even basic bodyweight exercises. One can do very well with such movements.

In summary, just because the industry cannot charge you for exercising on the playground doesn’t diminish the significance of such work. Get up, get outside, move regularly, and constantly seek out new challenges. Exercise doesn’t need to be complicated to be effective. As long as you are willing to work, you will do well with almost anything.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. – Confucius

1. Dennis August 19th, 2013 2:22 pm

Nice! I like the swing assisted roll outs and pistols

2. jf germain August 19th, 2013 7:32 pm

Give me some good ideas !!!

3. Andre August 20th, 2013 1:19 pm

Ross,

I admit your perseverance. For about 4 years at least,
    you constantly post videos and blogs with the same
    message: You dont need fancy gyms, there is a lot you can do with your own body or build at least with little to no costs. If everybody would do this, a billion industry would lapse in an instant.

4. Eric August 20th, 2013 3:13 pm

Nice vid and nice ideas. However, Burt Reynolds and the Seventies called and they want that guy’s moustache back. teehee. Just kidding.

5. john August 21st, 2013 2:21 am

And my favorite bit is that he is teaching his kid how to stay fit (for free!) purely by his example.

I’ve done stuff like this before at kids’ play areas when I’ve been there with my children, and other people’s kids come and join in!

6. John Cintron August 21st, 2013 6:03 am

I try to tell everyone that there is a starting point all the way up to advanced levels.I have made the majority of my results with little to no equipment. I walked into a gym yesterday to see about working as a trainer. All they cared about was sales they could care less if I was in shape or not just get the sales. I told them it’s not for me.I prefer training my clients in the park or studio with little equipment.

7. RossTraining.com Blog August 21st, 2013 11:37 am

[...] the recent post about playground workouts, it is worth noting that playgrounds are intended for children. While it is certainly fun [...]

8. Kyle September 4th, 2013 3:36 pm

Nice Post! I used to work out on the playground since I was 12 and even nowadays at 27 I’ll still make a quick stop and do some chin-ups or crunches whenever I go pass them!

9. RossTraining.com Blog October 1st, 2013 5:20 am

[...] are ideal for all levels. Both beginners and children can benefit from such work. For example, this entry showed a sequence of exercises that could be performed by all levels. We also saw the potential [...]