Inspiration From One To Another

If you click the image below, you’ll see an email that I received last week.

Upon reading the message, I was literally blown away. It is a tremendous honor to be acknowledged as someone who assisted with such an inspiring comeback. I cannot fathom what this man has endured at such a young age. For him to find inspiration through my material is an amazing feeling.

As a father, I always strive to positively influence my children, but never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined impacting a stranger’s life so significantly. When I first read the email, I found myself at a loss for words. I literally stared at the screen in awe.

It was late at night after a long day of work. I had been responding to emails and planned to read one more. That one more happened to be from Anthony. As I read through his message, my mind raced all over the place. The first thing I thought of was my children. I couldn’t imagine watching them deal with what Anthony has endured.

Initially, I didn’t know how to respond. I waited until the next morning. I replied to the email and heard back from him again shortly after. Anthony shared additional details about his training and I found myself even more amazed and inspired.

Here’s a young man who was so sick that he was confined to a wheelchair for three months. When he was able to walk again, he could hardly make it to the bathroom without gasping for air. Six months later, he’s doing pull-ups, pushups, one leg squats, and lifting a sandbag. To call his comeback amazing is an understatement.

I’ve been around the fight game for many years as an athlete and trainer, but I doubt that I’ve ever met anyone with as much fight in them as Anthony. Whatever pain I’ve felt would surely pale in comparison to what he lived with on a daily basis. Yet despite the pain and fatigue that plagued him, Anthony found a way to get up and move. Once he got started, he refused to give up.

Anthony may have written to me in thanks, but after hearing what he’s been through, I feel as if I’m the one who should be thanking him. His story has inspired me. Just hearing that he found inspiration in some way through my material makes me want to work that much harder. If I inspired him to fight back against such formidable odds, how can I ever hold myself to anything less?

A bad day in most of our lives would be a walk in the park for someone like Anthony. If he found the resiliency to train under such arduous circumstances, how does the average person ever make a valid excuse? I may even find myself using Anthony’s story in the gym if I see someone slacking. No matter how tired you feel, I’m sure what you feel isn’t nearly as painful as what he’s been through. If Anthony can fight himself out of a wheelchair on to a life of shouldering sandbags, I’m sure we can all find the energy to train after a long day of work.

I am honored to have influenced Anthony, but even more grateful for the inspiration that he has given me.

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do little – do what you can. – Sydney Smith

1. Hop March 11th, 2013 8:05 pm

Beautiful.

2. mac March 12th, 2013 1:55 am

Good work, Ross!

3. svilen March 12th, 2013 6:46 am

Great Result! Greetings to both of you – Ross and Anthony!

4. Robhypno March 12th, 2013 7:49 am

Puts things into perspective. Anthony, hats off to you mate and I wish you all the best for the future

5. Matt March 12th, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks for sharing Ross!

6. G. Suarez March 12th, 2013 4:36 pm

Your style is noteworthy and inspirational. You are no nonsense and continue to share articles and clips that are extremely motivational. This is benefiting many people.

Great work and continued success!

7. Matt H. March 12th, 2013 8:42 pm

Very inspiring and a huge reminder to appreciate one’s own health.

8. Tom March 13th, 2013 1:57 am

Amazing young lad! I’m not gonna complain today about much after reading this

9. Richard W. March 13th, 2013 2:31 pm

It’s just like consistency in the gym Ross. You keep doing what you do day in and day out for the passion you have for it and you affect others like it or not. Just like your kids we’re always watching you. You lead from the front nothing more can be asked of you. Just stay out there!

10. steve March 14th, 2013 2:28 am

Anthony wish you all the best for your future your already a champion mate!
    Ross thanks for sharing I love your site too

11. Alok March 14th, 2013 7:19 am

Dear Ross,

it will not be an exaggeration if i say that only a coach like you can inspire, motivate and guide a person as helpless as Anthony but i also salute Anthony for his courage to think beyond his limitations and achieved what he has achieved….

12. marcus March 21st, 2013 5:35 pm

Ross, your website is amazing and inspiring. I’m sure Anthony isn’t the only one taking both inspiration and knowledge from you.

The stuff you give away for free here is better than anything I could pay for. Thank you for the blog.

13. James March 26th, 2013 10:02 am

Hey whats up Ross:

That was a truly inspiring email and I am sure that the rest of us here on the site could only imagine what the email did for you. I apreciate you for sharing that and like always I will be training with Infinite Intensity (pun intended)!

14. Rocky March 26th, 2013 12:49 pm

I can relate…I want to say that I know what Anthony means. I went through something very similar, and it was what I learned at this website that got me back to where I needed to be. I don’t have to use a cane or a leg brace at the age of 32 now thanks to Ross’s methods of training, the knowledge offered and the videos shared.

Grats to Anthony and Ross. Keep on keepin on!