All I Know Is Grind – Ray Lewis

I have shared a few Ray Lewis videos before, but the clip below is by far the best. It is well worth a look for any aspiring athlete or coach. His energy and drive are contagious. Whether you are a fan of him or not, it’s impossible to deny the message that he preaches.

If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn’t seem so wonderful after all. -Michelangelo

1. John King January 10th, 2013 9:27 am

I dont watch sports, but I wish I could go back and watch this man play football from the beginning of his career to this, his last season. The man is a force of nature and I sat rapt watching this video. This year I want to put things into perspective and be thankful for all that I have and be kinder and more understanding. Thanks for posting this Ross. It simply made me feel good.

John

2. Craig W. January 10th, 2013 9:57 am

Wow! I’ve never been a big fan of Ray Lewis, but this is a fantastic video, and I can’t wait to show it to my kids.
    Thanks Ross

3. Joe January 10th, 2013 3:52 pm

I love you Ross. But it’s hard for me to derive any kind of inspiration from a man who, at the very least, got away with covering up a murder.

4. Eric January 10th, 2013 7:13 pm

Was a Baltimore Colts fan and now a Baltimore Ravens fan. Maybe the Ravens can pull off an upset over Denver and go on to the Super Bowl. Give Lewis one more ring before he retires.

5. dan ashman January 11th, 2013 12:26 pm

Joe, what did ray do? what happened?

great speech!!

6. Go Ravens January 11th, 2013 12:40 pm

Thanks for the share Ross. Didn’t know you were a Ray Lewis fan. He’s my favorite NFL player and one of the best speakers I’ve ever heard.

As for the 2000 allegations, no one knows what happened. There was a 40 man limo, gun shots came from the other party. Yes, two people died, but when fights break out, it can quickly turn to a kill or be killed scenario. No one knows exactly what happened and who did what, but let’s just say the two men who were killed were not saints. The gunshots that came from their crew were shot with the intent to kill.

When Ray speaks, I listen.

7. Marcus January 12th, 2013 4:10 pm

Lewis, his two good friends — Reginald Oakley and Joseph Sweeting — and nine others sped away from the crime scene in a 40-foot Lincoln limousine. Lewis, Oakley and Sweeting were charged with the killings and cleared in a controversial court decision that still leaves many questions unanswered.

Why, when Lewis made an appearance at a sporting goods store the day before the Super Bowl, did his friends buy knives at the store?

Why did witnesses say the limo pulled over and someone dumped bloody clothes into a trash bin?

Why was the white suit Ray Lewis wore that night never found?

Why did the limo driver change his story mid-trial after originally testifying that Lewis told everyone to “just keep your mouth shut and don’t say nothing”? Originally, the driver told police he saw Lewis actively taking part in the bloody brawl and heard Oakley and Sweeting admit to stabbing someone. But he backed off those statements when he got on the witness stand.

Why did prosecutors reduce the murder charge against Lewis to misdemeanor obstruction of justice? It was a plea deal in which Lewis agreed to testify against his two friends, Oakley and Sweeting, who were later acquitted after Lewis’ testimony failed to implicate them in the murders.

“Why were people changing their stories?” Joyce Lollar asked on the way to the cemetery that day. “… The jury didn’t know who or what to believe. By lying and deceiving from the beginning, Ray Lewis helped set everybody free.”

****************

I too love this blog, but Ray Lewis to me is always seen in this light. I don’t believe that athletic achievement overcomes the guilt. The rest of the USA unfortunately, easily forgets. Success in the arena of endeavor excuses murder and cover ups.

8. Jasmyne Teoma January 13th, 2013 1:36 am

When I hear Ray Lewis speak, even if its in my car I just want to pull over and do pushups :-) . This is the calmest I’ve heard him in a long time. Eric Thomas recently challenged Ray Lewis to a speak off – I would give everything I could to be able to attend that! 2 men who empower others to change the world.

9. Go Ravens January 13th, 2013 5:23 am

@Marcus – If you are going to post a biased report from Mike Bianchi, at least post the opposing viewpoint too.

It is always tragic when someone dies, but too many people think because Lewis is alive that he must be the bad guy.

When thugs with guns gets into a brawl and someone from their party gets killed, it doesn’t mean the opposing party is guilty of murder. This case was never as black and white as some reporters suggest.

I’m a Ray Lewis fan for life. He’s out there SAVING lives by talking to at risk kids all over the country for nothing. He doesn’t need to do it, but he makes time for it.

10. John January 13th, 2013 5:26 pm

I’m 50/50 on this subject. I like the positive vibe on what he is saying but he does have a questioned past. I like Mike Tyson too and he has a questioned past. In my opinion there are better role models out there.

11. Marcus January 15th, 2013 8:26 am

@Jasmyne,

Sorry, but your counter article reads as fictional fandom and is certainly the “biased” one.

I don’t owe anyone an opposing viewpoint to truth. Ask yourself why Ray Lewis settled lawsuits with the victim’s families if he was as innocent as you want him to be.

12. dan ashman January 15th, 2013 8:47 am

marcus, i dont know nothing about ray lewis and this incident. however, theoretically, it is not hard for me to imagine a good person getting into a situation where he lies to a jury or even kills another person. law is the not the highest good.

13. Mick January 15th, 2013 9:15 am

Ray is guilty of being in the wrong place. That’s all anyone knows for certain.

Let me know how you’d react to a group of thugs brandishing pistols in the middle of the night. Once they started brawling with Ray’s entourage, was he supposed to lie down or dial 911?

I’d also like to know where the handbook is that tells an aspiring athlete what to do after a gun yielding thug is killed in a late night brawl. Ray must have skipped over that chapter in school. Maybe he did freak out after, who wouldn’t have? One wrong word or statement and his life ends. Uncertainty as to what to do after is called human nature, not automatic guilt.

14. Hiwi Edmonds January 22nd, 2013 4:33 pm

Thought this was great.I noticed Ross hasnt commented about the shooting or whatever happened.Ross hasnt tried to defend anyones opinions or been defensive about putting the video up.The only thing that matches Ross training is his character

15. Lonnny January 29th, 2013 5:59 am

SMH @ all those negative comments.

The message what he sends out in this video is SO CLEAR, SO PURE, you can’t deny it. But his best speech video IMO is this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiSFdLh5xLQ Whenever I hear the name Ray Lewis I’m always reminded of his sentence “How much time are you wasting ? As a matter of fact I leave this topic alone and do what I have TO DO.

Peace

16. Patrick February 4th, 2013 1:36 am

Hi Ross,

i enjoy your blog regularly! However this man was involved in a double homicide and covered it up. While his message may be good, he is no way deserving of our respect. He has no right to try and be a role model.