Passion As A Trainer

A week doesn’t pass without someone asking me how I stay motivated to train. My response is always the same. I am not a fan of motivational tricks. Passion is more powerful than motivation. Once you are passionate about something, the motivation to pursue it will already be present. Therefore, rather than looking externally for motivation, look within to find something that you are passionate about achieving.

Unfortunately, despite the countless questions about my motivation to train, I don’t recall anyone inquiring about the significance of passion as a trainer. The focus always seems to be on the athlete. When discussing trainers and pertinent attributes, the discussion typically shifts toward knowledge. No one wants an idiot for a trainer. People want trainers who know what they are doing.

Inquiring about the knowledge and experience of a trainer is justifiable. I am by no means suggesting that knowledge isn’t important. As with many in the field, I paid my dues in college, grad school, and beyond. The quest for knowledge is never ending. No one is ever too good to learn. Successful people live each day with a relentless desire to improve.

Knowledge alone isn’t enough however. It takes more than reading periodical journals to become a successful trainer. The best trainers and coaches aren’t just knowledgeable. They are able to communicate their knowledge in a way that not only teaches their athletes, but also inspires them.

Vince Lombardi said it best with the following,

Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate.

Knowing what an athlete needs isn’t enough. Whatever you know is only as good as your ability to communicate it to your athlete. If you want your athletes to listen, they need to believe in you. They need to see and feel your passion. They need to know without question that you are there for them. They need to know that they are your priority. The success of the athlete is what matters the most.

The best trainers are ridiculously passionate about the betterment of their athletes. It isn’t a 9 to 5 job. If you are truly passionate about your athletes, they will be on your mind more often than not. The job will come home with you. It may wake you up in the middle of the night with a random thought or strategy. No time is off limits.

If you came into the training business with the goal of becoming rich and famous, you are in it for the wrong reasons. Passion isn’t something that can be faked. It is either there or it’s not. Those around you will know. You may fool some people initially, but the truth will eventually come out.

When I train a fighter, the bond becomes very strong. They aren’t just athletes to me. They come into my home. They are around my family. They are like family. When I’m working the corner on fight night, I take the punches with my guys. It’s not just a job. It’s much more than that. It’s a way of life. It is my life.

If I wasn’t as passionate as I am about what I do, I feel as though I’d be doing someone a disservice. Perhaps my feelings on the subject are biased as I am dealing with fighters. These are men who literally put their life on the line whenever they step into the ring. They are risking a lot. They need to have someone there who is giving everything they have to help.

You can’t view the job with a punch in on the clock mentality. You need to be more than that. You need to give more than that. When you give more than what is expected, the athlete will notice and naturally reciprocate. Getting your athletes to do more than they would naturally do is part of your job.

Passionate trainers produce passionate athletes. Passion is contagious. When it is present, it is impossible to ignore.

Don’t just teach your athletes, light a fire underneath them and inspire them to excel. Not everyone will be the best, but everyone can be their best. As a trainer, it’s your job to make it happen.

One person with passion is better than forty people merely interested. – E. M. Forster

1. Romina November 20th, 2012 11:20 pm

Ross, just one sentence…I really wish every coach had 1% of your dedication. I would give the world to be trained by you..you keep strength burning within me everyday in whatever I do. Thank you

2. Martin November 21st, 2012 1:25 am

Any trainer who has that passion will know exactly what you are talking about Ross. I have been coaching fighters for 5 years and even though I recently acquired my second master’s degree in law, I’d rather spend my life in the gym. I’d prefer just getting by while getting to train fighters rather than getting rich as a lawyer.

And you get what you give: No matter how bad my day has been or how lousy I’m feeling, once I get inside the gym and has a fighter working the mitts I feel great.

3. Valerie November 21st, 2012 4:14 am

I’ve said it before – you have impeccable timing. You also have an additional gift Ross of being able intelligently convey your thoughts, motivations, and wisdom to your audience. There are no wasted efforts.
    I read the comments after something you’ve posted and it is clear that what you have chosen to do not only with your athletes as a coach, but also with your audience such as myself, has made a difference. You have found a way to make each of us feel as if we have you as OUR coach as well – listening, supporting and guiding along the way.
    We all are given certain gifts when we are born. The difference is not only who recognises them, but who actually use and build upon them and ‘gifts’ them to those who may not have been blessed with the same set.
    As usual I thank you for your time and for sharing your gift with me.

4. Craig P November 21st, 2012 4:31 am

I couldn’t agree more with this article. As you do often when you write you relate your thoughts to other facets of life. In this regard about being a trainer I can interchange the athlete with co-workers/subordinates, or children. The athlete essentially can be anyone who counts on your leadership.

5. Luke S November 21st, 2012 5:18 am

There is an old coaching aphorism, “You can’t coach desire.” Desire… passion… is the one critical element that comes from within. Correct knowledge, the other essential element to success, can be obtained from outside sources. But passion is internal. You must cultivate it yourself.

In my personal quest to go from very unfit and fat to exceptionally fit, this is the basic truth I have discovered. Passion is essential. It is what empowers us to make the sacrifices necessary to attain difficult goals. While correct knowledge is also very important, that knowledge is rudderless and useless without passion.

6. Torrey November 21st, 2012 9:52 am

Excellent post, Ross! Live with passion! “Not everyone will be the best, but everyone can be their best.” Ross Enamait.

7. James November 21st, 2012 10:43 am

Right on Ross

8. peter November 22nd, 2012 10:58 am

HI ROSS, ANOTHER EXCELLENT POST.I NOT ONLY FEEL YOUR PASSION FOR WHAT YOU DO AND FOR YOUR FIGHTERS BUT FOR ALL OF US WHO FOLLOW YOUR SITE TO ALWAYS GIVE THE BEST OF YOURSELF. I AM AN ACUPUNCTURIST AND LIKE YOU I AM ALWAYS THINKING OF THOSE WHO SEEK MY HELP AND HOW I CAN BEST SERVE THEM. MANY OF THOSE WHO COME TO ME NEED TO CHANGE LIFESTYLE EATING BETTER AND BEING MORE ACTIVE. BY SHOWING MY PASSION FOR A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE MANY OF THEM START TO MAKE CHANGES FOR THE BETTER. SADLY MANY DO NOT CHOOSE TO. THERE HAS TO BE THE DESIRE AND THE PASSION FOR CHANGE AND IMPROVEMENT. REGARDS, PETER.

9. [...] Passion as a Trainer – Ross Enamait Be Thankful for the Little Things – Chris Merritt How I Broke My Neck and Became Quadomated [...]

10. RossTraining.com Blog January 14th, 2013 7:46 am

[...] myself. I knew that the road ahead would be difficult, but it was worth the risk based on how passionate I was to help fellow [...]

11. Brad April 14th, 2013 11:23 am

Best training website on the web. You have the well-rounded fitness I can only dream of. I hope to just get in the vicinity of the level of fitness you carry!

Brad R.
    BS Exercise Physilogy
    UNT 2002.

12. RossTraining.com Blog July 24th, 2013 1:02 pm

[...] is no denying that I am passionate about training. I’m equally passionate about training my athletes. I love my time in the gym. I love the lifestyle. I live for the physical and mental challenge. I [...]

13. [...] Passion as a Trainer – Ross Enamait Be Thankful for the Little Things – Chris Merritt How I Broke My Neck and Became Quadomated [...]