Inspiration from Dr. William Bell

Below is a video of Dr. William Bell pole vaulting at the ripe age of 90 years old. His ability to run and vault at such an age is beyond incredible.

If there was ever a case to be made for continued movement over the years, Dr. Bell is as good an example as any. He’s currently the world record holder for the pole vault in his age group. Surely, he doesn’t have many competitors but that isn’t his fault. In my eyes, it only makes his accomplishments even more impressive. Dr. Bell has clearly lived a healthy life as his body and mind continue to perform with the ability of one much younger in age.

Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul. – Samuel Ullman

1. Roger August 7th, 2012 7:14 am

F- me!

2. Eric August 7th, 2012 2:49 pm

Damn that guy has 40 years on me and sometimes after a 10-hour work day, I’ll ask myself why in the hell should I drag my tired old body to the gym or the park to workout or go for a run. I’ll tell myself how many other 50 year old grandfathers who just worked 10 hours are going to regroup and put themselves through another hour or so of additional “work.” Surely any sane middle aged man would put away such childish thoughts and go home and relax with a couple of cold ones, especially since the body doesn’t respond to physical exercise like it did 30-20 and even 10 years ago. It’s easy to keep motivation when you’re young and constantly improving, but to keep going when the gains don’t come as quickly or even when the gains don’t come at all, and still keep going is so much harder.

3. chris August 7th, 2012 2:50 pm

This man is truly inspirational. He is goal setting and getting that amazing buzz from achieving something you hardly dare to believe. I love it that he has an audience too. I hope the thrill of pushing his boundaries long continues and I hope it rubs off on me!

4. Affection for Fitness August 8th, 2012 2:33 am

Oh, I love this! I often weight lift next to a guy who’s 90 years old. He looks like he’s in his 70′s and has had many more good strong years than most people. He’s my role model. I’ve done more good fitness in my 40′s than in any other decade, and I hope to continue that practice for the rest of my life.

:-) Marion

5. NeilD August 8th, 2012 5:00 am

No doubt he’s hurting like hell while doing that, and still is SO dedicated. Makes me feel embarrassed for crying off when I’m too sore.

6. James August 8th, 2012 6:14 am

Remarkable

7. Sven August 8th, 2012 8:04 am

WOW!

8. Dennis Blair @ Fort Collins Personal Trainer August 11th, 2012 11:37 pm

OMG how can any one do that at such an age.He is really awesome I will be showing this video to my grandfather.

9. Frank August 16th, 2012 8:41 am

Great video! It inspires me even more as I approach my 62nd birthday.

10. raef August 24th, 2012 12:24 am

awesome video !!!

11. Krista September 5th, 2012 8:36 pm

Wow! Incredible!

He truly shows that if you just take care of your body, eat well and exercise, you can live a long, active life. That’s my goal—and at 25 I have a lot of good years ahead of me!