Minding Your Mitochondria – Dr. Terry Wahls

Terry Wahls, M.D. is a clinical professor of medicine at the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine. She teaches internal medicine residents in their primary care clinics. She is also involved in clinical research and has published over 60 peer-reviewed scientific abstracts, posters and papers.

In 2003, she was diagnosed with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis and soon became dependent on a tilt-recline wheelchair.

In the video below, she discusses how she overcame the disease through a complete dietary overhaul. The speech is quite interesting and certainly worth a look…

It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory. – W. Edwards Deming

1. Sven March 8th, 2012 9:28 am

Ross,

I truly got goosebumps watching this! We all really DO have a choice. It is important to spread word about a revolution i Dieting and finally turn the direction we’re heading into as the Western World. Thx for sharing.
    Sven, Italy

2. David [UK] March 8th, 2012 9:34 am

This is very interesting indeed. I feel compelled to take a copy of that video and copy it to DVD and present it to a few people I know.

I personally *know* I do not eat enough fruit/vegetables. I will try to do a lot better in this area now — at least as much as my wealth permits.

3. scott March 8th, 2012 10:13 am

David, if you are only able to add one thing add the organ meat to get the most bang for your buck. Check out the book Nutrition and Physical degeneration by Weston Price. http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200251h.html#toc

4. JOHN March 8th, 2012 11:47 am

Amazing, thank you so much for posting this.

5. Aleksander March 8th, 2012 1:36 pm

Thank you very much for posting this, Ross! I’m grateful to be able to get this kind of information.

6. Ron March 8th, 2012 2:06 pm

Thank you for posting this!

I thought that I had a pretty good diet. I now realize that there is always room for improvement. I’m going to rework my diet this weekend according to all of this.

7. Elizar March 8th, 2012 2:48 pm

The Dr.McDougall diet has also helped people rid their bodies of MS, will you make a post about that?

8. Reason #13 March 8th, 2012 3:26 pm

Thank you so much for posting this TED talk. While I’m a well conditioned athlete, I have a great friend suffering from Chronic Fatigue. The video lets me know where I’m falling short, and for him this stands to be a path to healing. Keep up the fantastic work curating really great content for you audience.

9. mac March 9th, 2012 1:05 am

Excellent. Eating Paleo style is recommended, whether you are ill or whether you are competing at the next Olympics. I highly recommend it.

A couple of sites that you may find valuable:

1. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

2. http://www.robbwolf.com/

Mac.

10. Ibrahim March 10th, 2012 2:13 pm

I respect her because she beat the disease but i can’t imagine eating low carb because i tried it for a period but it’s just shocked my blood pressure and i was like a zombie.

Anyway i’m just happy that there are cancer survivors who eat whole food carbs. People like Jack LaLanne, Clarence Bass, Bill pearl etc.

The most important is i think eating natural.

11. John King March 10th, 2012 7:32 pm

This woman is a marvel and an inspiration. Do not eat anything that comes out of a box or a bag! Ross, thank you for your insights and knowledge. Please keep up the paleo posts.

12. Trevor Frayne March 11th, 2012 6:04 pm

I’ve watched this video now three times and I find it very impressive. I first saw it on Mark’s Daily Apple. It is a low carb Paleo but that can be easily modify. For someone who is atheletic and depending on how your body handles carbs, I would just add what you need for more carbs with a variety of squash, sweet potatoes and yams. That’s probably the easiest what of increasing the carbs and still getting the benefits. And on the most part, I don’t think this has to be difficult to do. Most of the those vegetables can be cooked together with the meat in a slow cooker. I plan on implementing this into my diet more so. I think the hardest thing is figuring out how to bring the greens into this if I want to slow cook everything together.

13. Leonardo March 26th, 2012 9:51 am

Yo,

Cut to the chase!

What food do we need? Itemize it! Give a list! Far too much BS for the “little person” to understand! Eat this! Don’t eat that! Videos are OK, but most people forget the contents after! A printout of the content would help far more people!

Thanks!

14. admin March 26th, 2012 9:57 am

I don’t think it is too much to ask for someone to watch a video and take notes if they truly value their health. Are we all too busy to watch 17 minutes of quality information? Many who claim to be too busy will then find time to watch plenty of 30 or 60 minute reality TV shows at night.

15. Clay March 31st, 2012 9:00 am

This video lit a fire under my….well, you know. I’ve been striving to get over my last big nutritional hurdle, Pasta, potatoes, bread and sugar, for a while now. This video did the trick. I don’t even look at food the same way any more. I was known as the health nut at work before. Now they think I must eat tree bark for diner! I Iove the fact that this is good brain food to fight off future disease but I’m reaping huge rewards in my energy and post work out recovery. Thanks so much for this video and your entire website. I mention this site all the time to people.