Tennis Ball Reaction Training

The video below shows how to make an inexpensive tool to train hand-eye coordination for fighters.  Although the video is not in English, the instructions are simple enough.  All that you’ll need is a hat, a tennis ball, and an elastic cord.

Kostya Tszyu is one fighter who often trained with a similar device.  You can see an example at the link below:

Kostya Tszyu – Tennis Ball

Vasyl Lomachenko can also be seen using something similar here:

Vasyl Lomachenko – Tennis Ball

As for applications, such a drill can be a fun addition to your training arsenal.  Aside from the hand-eye coordination benefits, it is also useful that this drill will not be strenuous to the body.  You can easily include some reaction training with this tool without detracting from your primary training objectives.

Thanks to Nikolay from Arthlete.com for passing the video along.

Creativity is a natural extension of our enthusiasm. – Earl Nightingale

1. svilen January 11th, 2012 7:09 am

Hey, I like the dudes from Arthlete.com especially for they portrait of Jordan Jovtchev on the wall right to their pull up bar! Maybe you can come out with some article about him here in this website. I don’t ever thing there is some better motivation in gymnastics than him! (I’ll come up with some article in my blog these days too)
    Just to pull the news – Jordan Jovtchev just qualified for the olympics in London 2012! So he will participate in olympics for sixth time, which is absolute record for a gymnast! (during the olympics he’ll be 39)

2. jerome January 11th, 2012 7:17 am

Ross, i know its not in english but where would you get a cord like that from and how did they attach it to the hat and ball?

3. Johnny Palmer's How To Get Abs January 11th, 2012 2:34 pm

This would be ideal to do for a light exercise between bag rounds to keep your mind sharp and focused even while resting. Cheers Ross

4. Titusz January 11th, 2012 6:41 pm

thank u very much, ross!!!

5. Rick Flair January 11th, 2012 11:15 pm

Big fan of this. Thanks for the post, Ross.

6. Richie January 11th, 2012 11:50 pm

How do we make it. that head strap is going to be important

7. Perseus January 13th, 2012 1:27 pm

This seems like an ideal replacement for those who have mastered the double-end bag and are no longer challenged by it. The gym I go to is very challenged for space, so that may be another reason. Any thoughts ?

8. Eric January 13th, 2012 5:31 pm

Seems more practical to just use the regular speed bag and the double-end speed bag. Remember years ago watching Pipino Cuevas dribble/slap a raquet ball ala Rocky III in training.

9. Eric January 14th, 2012 6:56 am

Boxers definitely come up with some weird training exercises, another non conventional spin on traditional training I witnessed about the same time period as Pipino’s raquet ball thingy, was diminutive fireplug former jr. midd/mdiddleweight contender James “Hardrock” Green swatting bubbles blown by his trainer from one of those kiddie bubble blowing plastic containers.

10. RossTraining.com Blog January 16th, 2012 7:47 am

[...] a recent post, I’ve received several questions about other low-tech reaction drills. Fortunately, you [...]

11. Jakub January 20th, 2012 5:57 am

It is brilliant and fun exercise. I use it regularly to supply my training.

It is also great while I learn something (currently for tests for example) and need to stay focused. I make short rests (5 – 10 minutes) punching tennis ball and when I start studying again, my mind is much sharper. Try it, works perfect.

12. Vito January 21st, 2012 11:03 am

I found a cord like this at a local arts and crafts store and just tied it around the tennis ball. Takes some time to get comfortable with this device but just tying it around the ball really tight or making 2 slits with a razor side by side and then lacing the cord through would also work.

13. RossTraining.com Blog January 23rd, 2012 8:28 am

[...] tool that required nothing more than a tennis ball, an elastic cord, and a hat (original entry here).  Since posting those video clips, I’ve received several questions about making one of [...]

14. admin January 23rd, 2012 8:30 am

Update – I posted a revised entry with pictures that detail the simple construction process. Refer to the link below:

15. Lior March 21st, 2012 3:33 pm

I just made one of this and its way too hard even to hit 2 continuous punches… what am I doing wrong here?

16. admin March 22nd, 2012 7:30 am

Nothing wrong, you just have a fast cord. It makes it challenging, but certainly doable. You just need more practice with it. If it were easy, it wouldn’t be beneficial.

17. freddiemaize April 2nd, 2012 4:14 am

Nice one!!..

Plz provide a link to your “part 2″ post :) It would be helpful..

Freddie.

18. freddiemaize April 2nd, 2012 4:15 am

Nice one!!..

Plz provide a link to your “part 2″ post It would be helpful..

“Part 2″ post talks about how to make this device!! Just in case if you are wondering..

Freddie.