Inspiration from Nick Newell

Nick Newell is an undefeated mixed martial artist who upped his record to 6-0 with a submission victory last Friday.  Footage of his most recent fight can be seen below.

This entry isn’t just about an up and coming MMA fighter however.  Nick Newell is everything but ordinary.  Born with congenital amputation of his left arm, Nick has been fighting since day one.  He’s never let his disability hold him back as he continues to defy the odds.

In his own words,

I’m not just going to be a good fighter for someone with one hand. I’m not shooting for mediocrity or to prove that people with handicaps can do things because that’s already been proven. I compete to (be) one of the best in the world.

I’m sure there were plenty of people who thought Nick was crazy to pursue the mixed martial arts.  Fortunately, Nick lives his own life and makes his own decisions.  He doesn’t let critics choose what he does and where he goes.

We could all learn a thing or two from his resilience and perseverance…

If children have the ability to ignore all odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them. When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope? We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or Fight Like Hell. – Lance Armstrong

1. Joey Frad December 6th, 2011 8:20 am

Gotta love the fighting spirit. KUDOS

2. dan ashman December 7th, 2011 5:12 pm

great quote selection. i remember this particular sentence standing out at me from armstrongs autobiography years ago, unless i am mistaken on it’s origin. i like what he said because not only does it sound good but it has truth behind it.

3. dan ashman December 7th, 2011 5:12 pm

also, where does nick train? i see he lives close by in springfield MA. has he been to your gym to train?

4. Rich Stevens (@richardstevens2) December 8th, 2011 10:11 am

Very inspirational. Thanks for the post on Newell!

5. Tim December 9th, 2011 7:43 pm

I was also wondering where nick trains. Other than that this was a cool read. Thanks

6. Brian Johnson December 11th, 2011 1:26 am

Haha you stole the quote from the signature of my forum posts Ross ;) great spot though someone posted a link to his most recent fight on my twitter feed.

As a fellow disabled athlete he is someone I’ll definiately be keeping my eye on. His transition into the sub with which he won was superb on many levels.

7. RossTraining.com Blog December 13th, 2012 7:43 am

[...] was around this time last year that I first mentioned Nick Newell on the blog. If you don’t recall the original story, the short version is that he is a [...]