Low-Tech Hamstring Training With Bands

Below is a new tutorial where I demonstrate an inexpensive option for hamstring training.

Additional tutorials can be found at the following playlist (currently over 2 hours of footage):

1. jb21 September 30th, 2011 6:21 am

This is a perfect solution for me, especially right now as I am trying to strengthen my hamstrings prior to knee surgery and had no room for making the wooden weight loaded device. Cheap, simple and effective.
    Thank you Ross!!

2. Bob - How to build muscle and burn fat October 1st, 2011 9:03 am

This might be a good solution for a gym setting like yours Ross. But honestly I’m not sure if anyone can find this type of stuff in a regular gym. I find leg curl machine or cable curl much easier and effective too (you can add more resistance too, whereas in the above exercise, you can’t).

Regards,

Bob

3. admin October 1st, 2011 1:38 pm

Bob – You say that you find a particular machine more effective, but then you also state that you don’t have these materials, thus really have no idea how effective they are (or aren’t). In addition, adding resistance is actually quite easy. You simply work with a higher tension resistance band or a single leg (which is mentioned in the video). There are multiple strengths with any major band supplier (ie. Jump Stretch, Iron Woody, etc.).

Bands won’t even be necessary in most cases however, as most people won’t be able to perform even a few reps with a single leg at a time.

As for “regular” gyms, I’m not catering to a commercial globo gym. You’ll never find me in one. This particular piece of equipment will only cost a few dollars though, so if someone wanted to use it, they could easily purchase it and pack it in a gym bag.

4. Jalksoe October 1st, 2011 3:02 pm

I have recently recovered from an ACL (knee) surgery, and I found this exercise for your hamstring a lot more effective than using machines.

Though, I would say that using a big gym ball is a much simpler and cheaper approach for training your hamstring. The exercise is slightly more difficult with a ball, and it can easily be advanced by just using one leg keeping the other straight up. The ball also has the advantage of training your mobility and reflexes your legs and back.

5. admin October 1st, 2011 4:17 pm

@Jalksoe – The ball version is actually much easier (I’ve used both). I wouldn’t say it is cheaper either. The sliders sell in 4 packs for only $10. Most balls will cost more than that.

The sliders can also be used for loads of additional exercises. Here are some examples:

6. jb21 October 2nd, 2011 8:06 am

I purchased a pack of 4 of these at Target last night for $4.99.

7. Jalksoe October 3rd, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks buddy. I will defiantly try it out then – this would most defiantly advance my hamstring exercise. Though , it proves to be difficult to find sliders in Denmark, apparently people do not move around their stuff that often.

8. Adrian October 3rd, 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks man. I tried this one with an old rubber band and it feels great..!!

9. Pat October 6th, 2011 10:23 am

i love all variations of this exercise. i mainly focus on using a ball or TRX band to get that nice isolation in the hams and glutes. I have never seen this done with a slider. im anxious to give it a try on my next leg day

10. nunh October 11th, 2011 7:27 am

Very cool idea / variation – love your stuff Ross!

11. Paulo February 17th, 2012 5:01 am

Ross,

I can’t recall seeing those furniture sliders around here. (I live in Brazil).

My question: does any material that slides should suffice?
    I mean, over a hardwoord floor, maybe a small soft rug…Over a rug maybe a piece of coated, polished hardwood.