Doorway Pull-up Handles

Below is a new video tutorial where I demonstrate an easy and inexpensive way to create doorway pull-up handles for use when traveling.  A brief demonstration of the handles is included at 3:29 within the video.

For more homemade equipment ideas, please refer to the link below:

Homemade Exercise Equipment Archives

1. jb21 August 26th, 2011 2:11 am

Very nice. I love the simplicity.

2. Mario August 26th, 2011 6:16 am

Hi Ross…nice to meet you!
    I’m Italian and I apologize for my English. Unfortunately I did not understand from the video how attach the straps to make the Doorway Pull-up Handles safety! if you can write me the process to build this I’ll be grateful!!! thanks for the advice from your site :D

3. Dont Sleep August 27th, 2011 7:44 am

Ross you did it again. Simple but extremely useful

4. admin August 27th, 2011 9:49 am

@Mario – Just cut a piece of lashing strap (or something similar) and run it through two small pieces of PVC. Tie a secure knot and you are ready to go. I’d also suggest sanding down the edges of the PVC however to avoid ripping into the straps.

5. ob August 27th, 2011 4:00 pm

a couple of small wedges under the bottom of the door at each end will take the stress off the door hinges. there may be an advantage in pulling up from the side that will keep the door closed ie the pvc anchor is pushing to keep door shut. OB

6. Vijay August 28th, 2011 3:50 am

Nice one Ross…Love the simplicity and the minimalistic philosophy…Cheers.Vijay.

7. Brian August 30th, 2011 2:35 am

Good idea. You could slide a small piece of wood / metal under the door to take the stress off the hinges. A $0.50 wooden door stop would do the trick. Light and easy to pack

8. Alex "Dude Where's My Muscle" Siddy September 5th, 2011 10:46 pm

Absolutely brilliant! I am always looking for smart ways to do pull-ups wherever I find myself (I travel a lot). This looks like a wonderful addition to my bag of pull up tricks.

Thanks a lot Ross keep bringing it!

9. Bill September 7th, 2011 6:47 am

Ross,
    Always enjoy your training and home gym ideas. From experience, I think your doorway pull-up handles are a safer alternative to the doorway pull-up bars on the market.

10. MING September 9th, 2011 1:24 pm

ROSS!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!…..YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING GENIUS!!!!!!!!!…..I LOVE ALL OF YOUR VIDS….

THANKS DEEPLY FOR MAKING US STRONGER AND SMARTER!!!! :) )

LOVE AND GREETS FROM GERMANY!!!!!!!…..

11. Samer Hakoura September 19th, 2011 4:43 pm

Ross,
    So glad I came across this post a month later. I do a lot of traveling, and when traveling the easiest/most effective training to do is bodyweight circuits. The biggest thing I’ve struggled with is finding a convenient way to do pull-ups without a bar. This solves it, thanks!

12. Ray December 15th, 2011 11:20 pm

Hi Ross,

I live in Asia, lashing straps are difficult to come by from the hardware shops. Do you reckon it is possible to use paracords? Thanks

13. admin December 16th, 2011 5:21 am

I’m not entirely sure. The material must be thin to fit over the door without interference. The cords may be too thick.