Inexpensive Speed Bag Platform

In a past entry, I showed how to build an inexpensive platform for sandbag loading.  The same platform that was used for loading can be easily upgraded to include a speed bag platform.  All that you’ll need to do is add a 2×2 piece of 3/4 inch plywood.  The plywood will be secured to small strips of 2×4 inch wood.

Below is a picture of the upgraded loading platform.

You can see how the bottom has changed since the original entry in 2009.  Previously, there was just one piece of 2×4″ in the middle of the platform.

When using the speed bag platform, you’ll want to add some weight to the top. The added weight will help to minimize shaking as you strike the bag.

As for height, this platform can be easily adjusted for young kids.  There is no limit as to how low you can place the platform.  I’ve always considered the speed bag to be more of a fun bag, so it is nice to be able to set this bag low enough for my kids to play with it.

A brief video demonstration can be seen below:

For more homemade equipment ideas, please refer to the link below.

Homemade Exercise Equipment Archives

1. Marco F February 8th, 2011 5:17 am

you are the King of DIY, thanx alot for inspiring me

2. David [UK] February 9th, 2011 6:33 pm

Very nice.

On a related note, I like the construction of the loading platform for the rack. This is something that would facilitate “lift and place” movements (as featured, for example, in Dinosaur Training) very well.

3. Will February 10th, 2011 2:53 am

Wow, you’re pretty good. But what I’d really like to see is a training video on how to use the double ended bag in the previous post. I just got one and set it up like that. But I’m not really sure on how to use it.

4. Daryl February 10th, 2011 3:07 am

Great idea Ross!

I’ve gotten a lot of great ideas from your site. I just made a medicine ball that will also be used as a tornado ball.

Thanks for the great homemade training ideas you and all the members here have given me.

5. Martin February 10th, 2011 4:35 am

As usual you make everything look so easy. lol

It’s nice to see someone who is inspiring for so many.

Thanks for reminding that hard work and dedication can lead to a much better quality of life.

You are a role model for your generation.

-Martin

6. Administrator February 10th, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks everyone!

@Will – With the double end bag, start with straight punches (ex. just the jab, then jab – right hand, 1-2-1-2, etc.). It becomes much more difficult when the left hook is introduced. Straight punches keep the bag moving in one direction. The hook changes things by moving the bag laterally. Therefore, don’t rush to throw the hook. Get comfortable striking the bag with a crisp 1-2, while also working on footwork, head movement, etc.

7. Bruni February 11th, 2011 10:31 am

Niiice :P

8. Alex Sanchez May 18th, 2011 2:34 pm

My dreams to be a great fighter like Ali, ricky,Floyd,All them known fighter we see and hear about all the time.So im glad I found this website so I can learn and see how hard I have to push so I can Accomplish my Goal.Congrats on all you great fighters, that you made your goal or goals come true.Hope to meet some of you’s one day and be able to conversate with some of the worlds best fighter would be A dream come true.

9. c. beard July 6th, 2012 8:33 am

Very nice. What type of wood did you use?

I am asking because I have an existing stand by Everlast that I need to replace the Speed Bag platform on because the original broke since it was made of particle board.

I found some pre-cut circular pieces of 24″ diameter pine at Home Depot that are 1″ thick. Do you think this will suffice? Or do you suggest a more costly hard wood?

Again, great job and thank you in advance for your help.

-cam

10. admin July 7th, 2012 4:37 am

You can get away with pine, particularly if it is that thick. Pine is a soft wood, but the 1″ thickness will make it work. The extra thickness should make for a fast rebound.

11. Melvin August 14th, 2013 12:01 pm

Great guide Ross! I have a power rack at home and was thinking of attaching a speed bag to it somehow…
    But I came across this:

The fellow’s setup looks much simpler to accomplish as well. Perhaps it could be an alternative to your model?