Food, Inc.

December 2010 – This past entry has been updated with a new link to the full movie

Below is a brief trailer to Robert Kenner’s film Food, Inc. The documentary focuses on how food production has gone from being locally developed to being controlled by multinational corporations.

Those familiar with Veoh can watch the full film at the link below.  It is well worth 90 minutes of your time.

Food, Inc. – Full Movie

Ross

1. Truth November 10th, 2009 5:36 pm

Ross, you can find the full film on Youtube. Here is part one – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5e6kSAGnkk

You will see links to each subsequent part on the right side of the Youtube video player under Related Videos.

2. John November 10th, 2009 5:54 pm

Im gonna watch the whole video. I’ve seen some part of it a while ago, but forgot all about it. So good for this reminder.

3. Niels Bom November 10th, 2009 8:54 pm

It’s a good movie, should be an eye-opener for a lot of people. For a more dramatic movie, and possibly offensive to a lot of people, check out Earthlings, which is also viewable on the web.

4. radamez85 November 11th, 2009 3:39 am

That movie was definitely an eye opener.. i went and grabbed it right after ross updated his status.

Noels – I thought it was pretty offensive.

And those poor saps who struggle so hard to make a living and for a huge company to come in and shut them down like they dont have bills to pay or families to feed was just so powerful and just reminds me of what kind of world we live in.
    In America you’ll never be completely free.

5. larry November 11th, 2009 5:37 am

Great movie! Thanks for the post Ross.

6. Jeremy November 11th, 2009 9:39 am

There’s only one word for it; Evil.

Monsanto Monsanto is one of the worst offenders out there.

A part solution is to get started growing your own food.

7. Concerned November 11th, 2009 11:23 am

Support local farmers who raise free-range animals and naturally grown produce. Vote with every meal, as the film advised. As consumers, we can change the culture with every food purchase, with every dollar diverted away from corn and soy-filled junk.

8. KDAD November 12th, 2009 4:36 am

Thanks for posting Ross. I have been looking forward to seeing this one. I also recommend The Future of Food which can be seen on Hulu. That one really freaked me out.

9. CzechXpress November 13th, 2009 5:46 am

This was a good one, 2X on The Future of Food. One thing that I wished they would have done, other then the obvious, show me a few pics of stuff that is commercially available in stores that will be the least harmful, i.e, brands and companies.

10. Parker January 3rd, 2010 1:55 pm

This is a massive eye opener and we need to make a change, not only the way we eat and live but also to remove the power from the few and distribute it back to the many.

11. T Vitiello January 25th, 2010 12:50 pm

Very interesting, scary, but interesting.

12. T Vitiello February 1st, 2010 12:44 pm

I was talking with a friend of mine about the meats we eat in this country. He recommended that I try buffalo meet. It is low in fat and has never been fed hormones. Has anyone tried it?

13. I’ve been looking for this for a long time, thanks for the link to the full movie.

14. Derek December 14th, 2010 2:42 pm

Check out the movie Earthlings and book “The China Study”

15. Richard December 14th, 2010 7:16 pm

You can also watch the full version of this if you have Netflix. It’s available by “Play Instantly” over the internet.

Watched it a few months ago, it’s a real eye opener.

16. http://olliestraining.com December 14th, 2010 8:22 pm

This movie is so worth watching, I saw it on here a while back and it massively opened my eyes. I’m still trying to get my brother to watch it as he’s a farmer.

17. Steve December 14th, 2010 9:17 pm

Vitiello- I have tried buffalo and it taste very good. It takes a little longer to cook and it never looks as cooked as beef does. But yes they are very naturally raised and a bonus is a much higher protein count per ounce.

18. Patrick Henry December 14th, 2010 10:00 pm

Centralization is required for global slavery/ a New World Order.

An eye opener for the novice to the NWO-

More detailed-

Readers, don’t howl to me about political correctness (a Communist mind control tactic-look for Political Correctness Commie Mind Control on YouTube) or with a race card as I’m of Sephardi ancestry (real Jew) not fake Khazar Ashkenazi-this book explains it(http://www.biblestudysite.com/factsarefacts.htm) myself.

People are being screwed and don’t fully realize it. They want to take away your food, money, religion, -everything all to control you. Dig some more and you’ll find the truth.

19. Patrick Henry December 14th, 2010 10:39 pm

Worthy of your time to demystify the BS of our era-

America has all 10 planks of the Communist Manifesto applied today-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvxsIPavaRI

All your political leaders are whores to the International Central Banksters-

The Fed is Amerikas Central Bank. Who owns it?-

The media is controlled, and truly pathetic as a way to demoralize and manipulate the masses. Who owns it?
    -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp9F3XumYQA

20. Squatchy December 15th, 2010 3:53 am

Food Inc. is a good eye opening movie, I definitely recommend watching it if you haven’t.
    Support your local farmers. You can often find meat, vegetables, etc. from local farmers that are much better quality than what you get in most grocery stores (and sometimes for a lot better prices too). Try your local farmers markets if available, and check whats in your area at http://www.EatWild.com

21. demarcoa December 16th, 2010 3:07 am

That’s an AWESOME movie. Scary but very informative and really well done.

22. Andrew December 16th, 2010 6:37 pm

As usual, I’ll be the contrarian opinion here…

Are you willing to pay 3-4x for the food you eat? That’s what it’s going to take for the “small” farm to survive. There simply isn’t enough of a willingness to pay enough for food at a price point that will allow a small farmer to break even. The margins on food are so small, that the only way to make a living from it is to produce it in such volume as to be unsustainable for any small operation.

Are you willing to restrict yourself to food that’s “in season”? That means no fresh fruit or veggies through the winter, only what you’ve preserved or canned. Nothing grows in the winter. Unless, of course, you’re willing to take advantage of society’s ability to move things from point A to point B and import fruits and vegetables from the southern hemisphere.

And even if you are willing to do this, what do think will happen to prices if everyone does this? Particularly in areas where there is no sizable local agribusiness? Look at the Northeast corridor (DC to Boston). Huge population, huge land usage, little agribusiness.

I’m not saying that everything that the food companies do is good, or that mass-produced food is the healthiest thing ever. What I am saying is that people need to look beyond the simple, romantic notion of the small farm, and look at the realitites of numbers. Unless there’s a severe, immediate, reduction in population and/or population density, the only way to feed ourselves is going to be these large-scale production operations. Can we do it better? Sure. Can we do it healthier? Sure. DO we need to go back to Farmer Joe to do it? Absolutely not, and to try and do so is suicide.

23. Southern Trainer December 17th, 2010 12:41 pm

Andrew, conversely, we should not turn a blind eye either. As a father to 4 children, I want to know what is in the food we put on the table. Call me selfish, but when I feed my family, I’m not thinking about the rest of the world. I educate myself to provide for my own family. I seek out healthy options for my own family. That’s the way the world works. Yes, the population is growing out of control, but that doesn’t change the fact that we all need to look out for ourselves.

24. Southeast MMA December 18th, 2010 5:08 pm

Thank you, Andrew, for being the one counterpoint to all this “evil Corporate America,” “we aren’t completely free in America,” yadda yadda. This “movie” pretty much lost me when it showed the “evil American” factories in the background pumping out massive amounts of “global warming”-inducing emissions — that alone screamed propaganda to me.

As Andrew said, the same people complaining about the fact our food is made in factories by huge companies would be the same ones whining about not being able to purchase fruits and vegetables that are out-of-season — talk about not being completely “free!” There are two sides to every story — and I’m definitely not siding with the huge conglomerates that are our food corporations nowadays. But sit back, take your “evil corporate America” blinders off and think rationally for a minute. Every single point Andrew brought up is germane to this argument and excellent topics for discussion.

I’m interested in seeing where to comments go from here.

25. Luciano D. December 19th, 2010 3:17 am

To those knocking this video, don’t view this as buyer beware, but more so as “buyer be aware.” Use the material as you see fit.

The argument regarding population increases works for large scale debates, but isn’t valid for the individual. I will buy what I determine to be appropriate for my family based on due diligence. If my neighbor has 10 babies, I am not going to change what I purchase for my family. The fact that people are reproducing too often does not change how I feel about providing for my own.

Suppose your neighbors keep popping out babies. Does their population increase mean that you should offer up a few bedrooms in your home to accommodate them? Does their increase impose on the land and home that you worked hard to purchase? Or does the individual fend for himself? What happened to survival of the fittest?

Monsanto isn’t worried about my family. That’s my job. I’ll continue to research what goes into my food and purchase what I see fit. I don’t care about the rest of the population. I don’t do the shopping for my neighbors. I shop for my family so that’s all I’m concerned about.

Others will argue otherwise, but until you begin offering up bedrooms to accommodate population increases and begin purchasing food for your neighbors, you don’t have much to say in regards to what is wrong about this video.

26. Andrew December 20th, 2010 3:01 pm

I’m not saying we just shut up and eat whatever is fed to us. I’m saying that laying the blame solely on the large scale farming operations is short sighted. Small farms isn’t the solution. Getting the large scale farms to do it better is.

27. Adski December 27th, 2010 6:30 am

I mainly try to shop the best I can, I do buy my own meat in bulk, from a place that sells farm grown meat, and vegetables well I try to get as fresh and as good a quality as I can, and try to keep my shopping to the outskirts of the grocery store.

The less processed you can get the better, maybe it could be a matter of somehow getting in touch with someone to try to make food production better, I’m not saying I can and I’m not saying anyone will listen, but its always worth doing something rather than nothing