Gymnastics at age 69

Below is a video that showcases the ability of a 69 year old man who has recently begun training with several gymnastic exercises.   Based on the upload dates at his Youtube channel, it appears that he’s been training with these exercises for less than a year.

According to those who sent me this video, the man has been an active rower and climber for many years.  His interest in gymnastic training is new however (a matter of months, not years).  At age 69, this man not only looks, but performs like a man half his age.  At first glance, I would have estimated this man to be in his 40′s.  I would have never guessed that he was approaching age 70.

This man is a perfect example of George Bernard Shaw’s quote below…

“We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”

It is obvious that this man has remained active and continues to find new ways to challenge his body and mind.   He continues to grow without growing old.  At only half his age, this man has inspired me at the possibilities that the future presents.  I can only imagine what new activities I’ll explore in my 40′s, 50′s, and 60′s.  Wherever my journey takes me, I’ll know that it’s never too late to try something new.

Thanks to Felipe and Ibrahim for passing the video along

1. Tomislav June 17th, 2010 12:41 pm

I want to believe it. I really do. If he was 69 that would be amazing. Truly worth emulating.

2. Bjorn Granum June 17th, 2010 12:57 pm

Fantastic! We should never stop playing!

3. AT22 June 17th, 2010 1:17 pm

Even if he’s not 69, that’s pretty good stuff. And look at the space he uses to do the exercises! No excuses, indeed!

4. DR.BILL MARTIN June 17th, 2010 2:46 pm

HE ROCKS

HE “DOES” WHILE MOST OTHERS–”TALK” ABOUT GETTING IN SHAPE

THANKS ROSS

DR.BILL

5. Laura June 17th, 2010 6:12 pm

Wow! I’ve just started trying to do some gymnastics, if I’m half as good as that in a year I’d be pretty happy, I’m so far off it now!

6. CWN June 17th, 2010 7:14 pm

Just amazing, much respect.

7. Ibrahim June 17th, 2010 7:33 pm

Yes, he´s 69 and he´s new this kind of training.

I did not believe it at first but he did a forum post on another site and wrote about himself.

Why it should not be true after seeing the 75 year young woman bodybuilder in Ross next to last blog post?

George Hackenschmidt could jump over a back of a chair standing right behind it, in his 70-80s.
    Milo Steinborn squatted well over 250 lbs in his 70´s.

Google the name Karl Norberg and won´t believe how strong a person can be in his “older” age.

8. Manveet June 18th, 2010 12:11 am

awesome stuff

9. David [UK] June 18th, 2010 6:35 am

Quite frankly, that was awesome.

10. FritsMB June 19th, 2010 9:33 am

Well, thank you for a very nice write-up about me, Ross. I agree, you don’t know what you can’t do until you have tried, tried hard. There is always a little adventure in it. So, what more can you ask for. Whatever you do, don’t give up. Take care.

11. Maxine June 20th, 2010 6:17 am

That’s Sick!!!

Can’t use any excuses now.

12. Dean June 20th, 2010 1:30 pm

Wow, very cool! Another Lalanne!

13. Walt June 20th, 2010 1:55 pm

I wonder if he was inspired by reading this article?
    which has been out for a few years now. It shows how to get strong using a series of progressions using only two gymnastic exercises: the planche and the front lever (a push and a pull).
    Also, here’s another inspirational type video of a woman who’s turned her life around with weightlifting.
    At least she is doing real weightlifting and not doing vain, worthless bodybuilding training.

14. Chris June 23rd, 2010 12:06 pm

Very inspiring!

I like the choice of music too.

I know people younger than him who have just given up. They decided they were too old to do that kind of stuff and they’ve really gone downhill.

15. Jamie July 8th, 2010 1:56 pm

Love that quote too. Thanks for the post!

16. Noel July 10th, 2010 2:24 pm

Aboslutely fantastic! I loved this so much I linked back to this everywhere (my site, twitter, Facebook, etc). I hope I’m that strong when I reach that age.

17. Alex July 23rd, 2010 4:49 pm

this man is a powerhouse! just kidding, no but seriously awesome blog!

18. R Connell September 17th, 2010 3:05 am

This and other posts on your site have inspired me, beyond the inspiration I had to start with. I look around me and see so many people shortening their lives by years and decades, with food and neglect. It sickens me to think that the people I know today, will not be around in 15 or 20 years. I am only 40 years old and I already have friends younger than me recovering from strokes, and other medical problems. I hope we can smarten up soon.

I believe that if everyone could simply eat proper food(that is whole food, and not food product).
    We could eliminate most of your health problems.

I plan on doing everything I can to educate my children, and hopefully they will pas on some of what I think I have learned to their children.

19. George March 13th, 2012 7:48 am

this must be a mistake!!!! this guy can not be more than 45. it is impossible, I can’t believe it.NO way!

20. [...] We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. Share this article: [...]

21. RossTraining.com Blog November 29th, 2012 7:28 am

[...] familiar with this blog may recognize this individual from a previous entry in 2010. It is great to see that he has obviously continued to train hard with no apparent signs of [...]

22. Tanveer September 27th, 2014 2:00 am

Gymnastics in the age of 69 really amazing thing for me. I would like to appreciate it.