Inspiration from John Riccio

Below are two videos that tell the inspirational story of John Riccio.  The first video is from several years ago, and will give you some background about who he is and what he’s endured throughout his life.

The second video is a bit longer, but definitely worth 10 minutes of your time.  Here is a man who has now endured over 80 operations and still remains upbeat and positive about life.  We can all learn from his example.

In his own words,

“I don’t think people realize that they’ve been so blessed to have a body that works right… You guys have a gift that I only dream about… Everything is a gift… Don’t take it for granted.”

He goes on to say,

“Don’t let other people dictate the way your life is going to be… A champion never looks at what he is going through, only what he is going to.”

Thanks to John for sharing his wisdom and best of luck with the journey ahead.

1. Larry Allen August 24th, 2009 2:10 pm

Thank you Ross for always sharing something up-lifting and inspirational with people. This is truly helpful. This story proves the ONLY thing that stops us is US.

2. Valentine Rawat August 24th, 2009 2:43 pm

I love stories like this. Individuals like these are a true inspiration to the rest of us. There are a people out there that are using so many excuses but there truly aren’t.

All the best

3. Scott McDonald August 24th, 2009 6:45 pm

I have a normal body and can’t motivate myself like Mr. Riccio. This man is a true warrior.

4. John August 24th, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks to John, and thanks to you Ross for sharing this story.
    The body is a machine, and works like a machine as long as we work with it,
    and this story confirms that

5. Joe August 24th, 2009 7:58 pm

Wow,that is super inspirational. Ross thank you for what you’re doing. I have been inspired by all the stories you find to share with those who read your blog. It’s soo true what John says and it’s such good wisdom that too many don’t listen to and use. Just terrific. Thanks John and Ross.

6. Ibrahim August 24th, 2009 8:12 pm

This two videos took my breath away. I thought for myself how many times you want to complain and worry about little problems.
    I think sadly it is also human to realize what is valuable after it´s gone or you lost it.
    The best fitting quote to John is from Rocky 6 i think:
    “Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t how hard you hit; it’s about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done.”

7. Paul August 25th, 2009 10:20 am

Thanks Ross……..This guy is unbelievable. What strength and perseverance he shows……

8. Roudenleiw August 25th, 2009 6:44 pm

Holy shit that’s so inspiring! Thanks a lot for posting this, Ross.

I’m always glad when such videos appear on the blog or on the forum, because they show me that the only boundaries that exist in life are those that you set yourself.

9. camilo gutiererez September 5th, 2009 1:20 pm

truly inspirational. there is always something to learn, thanks Ross!

10. reduce belly fat September 9th, 2009 5:25 pm

Wow a true inspiration. Thank you for posting this, it is amazing what people can do if their mind is in it. Set your mind and your body will follow. I was overweight and I set my mind by finding inspiration in people like John. I reached my goal 2 1/2 years ago and will never let it go.

11. Manveet September 14th, 2009 10:44 pm

Awesome motivational story.

A nice reminder to quit whining and complaining and just start doing.

12. Billy Ethridge July 15th, 2011 11:54 am

John Riccio is a personal friend of mine as well as an extraordinary human being. Deeply spiritual while being non-judgmental, John is rigorously analytical about his health. He has a delicious, unique sense of humor. From a bodybuilder’s perspective, he is outrageously strong also. .. I met John in a long-term medical facility, He was ill, and preparing for something like his 88th major surgery! I was surviving a massive hemorrhagic stroke. We were roommates. Under such circumstances one gets to know the other person as he is. Knowing John Riccio is an honor.