DIY Door Anchor Pull-ups and Rings

In the past few weeks, I’ve had a few forum members express disgust in their inability to find anywhere to perform pull-ups.  They do not have door entrances that can accommodate a doorway bar, so have been looking for other home based options.

Below is one idea that was recently emailed to me.  Although I have not tried it, it appears to be an inexpensive option that may be worth a shot.

Complete instructions can be found at the link below:

Door Anchor Pull-up Instructions

This idea seems to be an inexpensive alternative to the following design.

The author of the above listed instructions also passed along the following idea for homemade rings.

Plywood Ring Instructions

As always, I encourage you to pass along any other homemade equipment ideas.  We have an evergrowing list of ideas hosted within the forum.

Please see the link below:

Homemade Equipment Archives

1. BR July 21st, 2009 2:32 pm

I have had a lot of experience repairing doors. If you do this with a hollow core door, it will likely ruin it in no time. If you do it with a solid core door, it will likely ruin the hinges and/or latch in no time. If you’re still going to do it, then at least wedge two triangle-shaped wedges under the bottom corners of the door, right at the corners, to help take the strain off the hardware.

2. Administrator July 21st, 2009 2:37 pm

I agree that bottom wedges would be useful.

With that said, the individual who emailed the link claims they hold up quite well and he apparently weighs over 200 pounds.

I will send him an email.

3. Patrick Donnelly July 21st, 2009 4:43 pm

That’s me from the above video clip, using the anchors on my dorm room door. It was a sturdy door, pretty thick and tight fitting, and it showed no damage over the few weeks I was there and using them. I agree though, BR, you’d want to get a thick door and use some extra support along the bottom if possible to take the load off it. I got the idea from seeing the Lifeline Power Chin-up Bar (run a search on Amazon to see it), and that product had good reviews. They recommend a 3-hinge door, but some of the Amazon users said they were even able to do it with two. I can’t remember how many hinges mine had.

I haven’t used the anchors since Christmas, so I can’t comment on their long term effects. I moved into off-campus housing in January and now have easy access to a power rack pull-up bar.

4. The Fat Runner July 21st, 2009 5:35 pm

I’ve been on holiday on a farm for the last two week and have built myself a home-made gym to do bodyweight workouts – here’s the link:

5. Administrator July 21st, 2009 11:22 pm

Thanks Patrick… I actually linked to the Lifeline product within the main entry. If others are having success with that model, they should be able to at least replicate the success with the homemade version (at a fraction of the cost).

Ross

6. Samer I March 7th, 2013 2:44 pm

Unfortunately most of the links and content on the page are dead…

7. admin March 7th, 2013 5:49 pm

@Samer – Check my Youtube channel for a related tutorial on doorway pull-up options. It’s an easy/inexpensive portable option.