No More Excuses!

If you’ve ever met someone who regularly use the “poor me” excuse, I suggest that you share the story of Dana Shealy.  She is a cancer survivor who had her foot severed in an automobile accident.  Her leg was later amputated.

Neither the accident nor the cancer has held her back.  Below she can be seen squatting 365 pounds and deadlifting 315.

Not too shabby for a woman who has overcome cancer and had to adjust to life with one leg.

What is your excuse?

After watching these videos, the answer should be nothing.

1. Butch White May 29th, 2009 5:59 pm

Good stuff. No Excuses… thanks Ross.

2. Eric May 30th, 2009 12:01 am

She had plenty left in the tank in that DL video, I wonder how much more she can pull. That is amazing!

3. John May 31st, 2009 2:58 pm

This shows how we all can continue after no matter what happens to us. No matter what the doctors tells us. If we are mental strong, and there is a will.

4. David May 31st, 2009 7:27 pm

Very impressive.

5. Mick June 2nd, 2009 2:19 pm

I’ve got lots of people in my life who complain they just can’t get motivated to get in shape. I don’t put a hard sell on anyone, but I’ve shared stories like this. Not effective. The sheer extremity seems to cause a mental disconnect. It’s almost like they think, “Oh, sure, if I was in *that* situation, I would prioritize things differently. But I’m doing well enough as is.” Strangely, these are very motivational for me (and I work hard to stay fit), but that makes them seem like preaching to the choir.

Anyone else had this reaction? Has anyone had any luck “converting” mildly dumpy middle-agers to fitness through one of these amazing stories? I’m all ears for suggestions.

6. Administrator June 2nd, 2009 5:23 pm

Mick,

Check some of the comments from this entry:

Others shared some of their own reasons for training. I believe others (who don’t train) can benefit by seeing some of these reasons. You’ll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

7. Mick June 3rd, 2009 3:25 pm

Thanks for the link. I just scanned a few of the comments, and they’ve already given me some ideas.