Protect Your Dreams

Below is a short clip from Will Smith’s movie The Pursuit of Happyness.  The movie is based on the amazing true story of Chris Gardner.  I highly recommend watching the brief clip and listening to the message within.

At one point, Smith (the father) says the following:

“When people can’t do something themselves, they want to tell you that you can’t do it.”

He goes on to say,

“If you want something, go get it!”

Yes, it’s only a movie (though based on a true story), but we’d all be better off by following this simple advice. Our world is unfortunately filled with dream snatchers.  Many who fail take comfort in seeing others fail.  They don’t want to see you do something that they couldn’t achieve.  Dream snatchers come from all walks of life.  They are not necessarily enemies or strangers.  Often times the dream snatcher doesn’t realize that he or she fits the mold.  It could be a friend, coach, or even a family member.

Don’t let dream snatchers bring you down.  Use their negativity to spark new motivation.  If someone tells me that I can’t do something, I work that much harder to prove them wrong.  I am the only person who lives inside my skin.  No one knows what I can or cannot do.  We as people are often not as smart as we’d like to believe.  No one truly knows what others are capable of achieving.  We can’t look into a crystal ball to see the future.  Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.  No one knows how bad you want it.  No one knows how hard you are willing to work.  No one knows how much you are willing to sacrifice.  These are unique (individual) factors that differentiate you from everyone in the world.  The individual writes his own future.  Don’t let anyone steal your pen.  You need to take ownership and then live with the decisions that you make.

Perhaps the best advice you’ll ever hear is to believe in yourself.  This advice applies to all facets of life (ex. school, career, sport, etc.).  You can only go so far when you live a life of doubt. When you actually believe in yourself and refuse to give up, you’ll often surprise yourself and others.

Ross

1. Daryl January 14th, 2009 3:56 pm

this is very true, my father always said i’d never be good at english because most of the family were bad at it. when someone eventually told me i had a talent for it i reached out a grab it, now its something i absolutely love and which i excel at in school

2. Matthew January 14th, 2009 10:08 pm

This is something that is really important to know. I’ve been told that I can’t do this or that all of my life. It wasn’t until recently that I stopped listening to them. Something I should have done sooner.

Great post.

3. Johnny January 15th, 2009 3:54 am

What a timely post for the New Year. The biggest impediment to accomplishing something is usually yourself. Fear of failure and doubt in yourself (exacerbated by people trying to tear you down) just causes inertia, which just guarantees failure. Getting past that is often the hardest part to achieving your dreams.

4. Preston January 15th, 2009 4:55 am

This reminds me of a quote – not sure where it’s from… “if you think you can, you’re right. If you think you can’t, you’re right.”

5. ari January 15th, 2009 10:26 am

Ross, you said in your post “its only a movie.” Just in case you didnt know i just wanted to point out that its based on a true story which for me makes it even more inspirational. Its based on the book with the same name. Of course in the movie there have been some deviations etc but the general storyline is true. In actual fact at the time his son was about 2 years old not 5 as portrayed in the movie and they were living homeless while Chris Gardner trained as a broker. Chris Gardner wanted to break the cycle that existed in his family where Fathers wernt there for their kids. Chris, even in the most dire circumstances, was always there for his son whilst working very hard to train as a broker. He is now a multimillionaire and has a great relationship with his kid.
    It just goes to show what can be achieved with determination and hard work. I recommend that people do a google search for chris gardner.
    That was a great post Ross and Happy New Year!

6. Gianpiero January 15th, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi Ross! I’m Gianpiero from Rome. I no write good in english sorry:)I like rosstraining blog!!And after this video today I go to gym and I train super SUPER HARD!!! Thank

7. Administrator January 15th, 2009 3:29 pm

Thanks Ari – I’ve updated the entry to reflect this information. I just now watched the full film. It is an excellent film and an amazing story. Initially, I had only seen the clip from above.

Thanks again,
    Ross

8. Robert January 16th, 2009 2:25 am

Ross, just did a career day today at a local school. Shared a similar message with the kids. Even if people think you are a loser, just believe in yourself, not them. Will watch this movie and refer to it in future presentations. Great job, Ross, great leadership.

9. David January 16th, 2009 12:11 pm

Great post Ross.

Thanks for posting this.

10. Bruno January 16th, 2009 5:03 pm

Great Post. Very inspiring. Thank you.

11. eric January 16th, 2009 5:28 pm

I built my life and businesses from this attitude. If you truly believe it and emotionally feel it you will be amazed of the dynamics of the underlyning power.

12. David January 17th, 2009 3:27 am

Great movie and a great testament to the human spirit. I like the interview they did w/ the real Chris Gardner…how he made sure they got everything right in the movie. A real perfectionist!

13. John Peden January 17th, 2009 2:37 pm

I watched Randy Pausch’s last lecture last week on Achieving your Childhood Dreams. One point he makes is that brick walls are there to separate you (who really wants the goal) from the people who don’t.

14. SMag January 19th, 2009 5:25 pm

Thanks for defining what dream snatchers are and how they can even unintentionally tell you what you can’t do. I never really thought of it that way, but it makes sense and this movie shows it.

15. Praverb January 26th, 2009 7:54 am

another great post…thank you Ross…

16. JMJ January 28th, 2009 10:16 pm

The best line: “If you want something, go get it!”
    If you apply that to any aspect of your life, you will be a much stronger person. Great post, thanks for sharing, Ross.

17. [...] successful actors in the world.  I actually featured one of his past performances in a previous entry.  He is clearly talented, but his success didn’t come by accident.  He has worked extremely [...]

18. [...] Will Smith is just full of good advice. Ross Training posts about the wonderful moment in The Pursuit of Happyness where Smith talks to his son about protecting one’s dreams. [...]