Hungry for some McDonald’s?

This video was recently posted to the message board.

Think about this video the next time you eat some fries from McDonald’s (which is hopefully never).  Stick with REAL food found in nature.  Stay away from these processed/manufactured items.  Your body will thank you!

Ross Enamait

1. Petr R. August 3rd, 2007 1:23 pm

Beautiful…

2. James August 4th, 2007 9:52 am

I haven’t eaten McDonalds in about 4 years… Those fries are probably still floating around in my stomach somewhere, nice!

3. Scott Kustes August 4th, 2007 10:35 am

That is disgusting.

4. Ato August 4th, 2007 4:43 pm

To be fair to the McD fries, they looked dry to begin with and were probably heavily salted, compared to the regular fries. Those two conditions alone would explain why they didn’t appear to rot. All the other stuff had a lot of wet ingredients-can anyone say special sauce, pickles, onions? The wet ingredients are a perfect media for bacteria.

Would anyone be surprised if Twinkies or hot dogs were placed in the jars? Now those things have a half-life measured in eons.

5. Jazz August 4th, 2007 7:41 pm

I’m not a big fan of Macs, but this doesn’t really show anything concrete.

These were hardly scientific conditions.

Just because the fries can ward off decomposition from bacteria, it doesn’t mean they can’t be digested.

This argument doesn’t need this type of sensationalism to be right.

6. Administrator August 6th, 2007 12:11 am

You are over-analyzing the situation. The point is that real food should spoil. You don’t need a fancy lab setting to understand and accept this truth.

If we all ate REAL food, we’d be better off, as opposed to manufactured/processed/man-made items.

As Jack Lalanne said, “If man mad it, don’t eat it.”

Simple, yet useful advice. Don’t get wrapped up in paralysis by analysis.

Regards,
    Ross E.

7. Ato August 6th, 2007 6:23 am

I agree. That’s why I suggested Twinkies and hotdogs, things any mom or pop would have trouble fixing-up in the kitchen. There are more valid reasons for not eating salty french fries than the fact that they look good in pictures week after week: hypertension and diabetes.

8. cody August 6th, 2007 5:12 pm

the test would have been better if they had filled the jars with hydrochoric acid to replicate the stomach digesting the food.

9. Dadi Astthorsson August 7th, 2007 9:43 am

Never again.

10. Jazz August 7th, 2007 6:15 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with what Jack LaLanne was trying to say.

My point is the fact that the fries didn’t decompose in this clip doesn’t really show anything. The experiment was way too uncontrolled for the results to have any standing. The guy who did it is a sensationalist – its what he does for a living. But, just because I say that, it doesn’t necessarily mean I disagree with all his views.

I agree that one can get paralysed by analysis, but its also equally dangerous to take everything one hears at face value. Like most things in life, the middle way is best.

11. Black August 8th, 2007 3:26 am

Holy shit, those fries are indestructable!!

The two things to survive a nuclear holocaust:

1. cockroaches
    2. McDonald’s fries

12. abc_123 August 10th, 2007 11:43 am

you forgot #3.

Cher

That woman is as indestructable as those fries.

13. Jeremy Reeves August 12th, 2007 2:03 pm

I agree with Cody, if you throw them in some hydrochloric acid it would be an even better test with more interesting results. I might have to do that someday :)

14. Christopher Rasch December 2nd, 2007 9:27 am

While I agree that the fries may not be healthy for you, I don’t think that this video demonstrates that. Anyone here eat dehydrated apples? Those things take a long time to mold too. Yet, they’re nothing but healthy apples with the water removed.

The fries are thinly sliced, fried in oil, and heavily salted. The oil displaces a lot of the water content of the potato cells. (Which is why, in part, they taste so good). The salt also inhibits mold growth. If the office is air conditioned, the air conditioning will cause the air to be drier, further reducing moisture. What we may be seeing is simply the effects of dehydration.